Vehicle Use Guidelines
THE UNIVESITY OF THE SOUTH
PPS OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE
VEHICLE USE GUIDELINES
Revised July 2007
PURPOSE: To provide clear guidance regarding the appropriate use of university vehicles for official business and personal use. Guidance provides clarification and is in compliance with The University of the South Policies and Procedures, the Staff Handbook, and IRS Rules.
- University vehicles are to be operated using seat belts.
- University vehicles will not be parked in unauthorized parking spots, handicap parking spots, or in any location that will create a potential hazard or cause unnecessary damage to the landscape.
- Vehicles will be turned off and secured when parked when practical to conserve fuel and minimize the potential loss of property.
- Non-exempt employees will use university vehicles for official business only. Employees will not use university vehicles for personal use without advance approval from their supervisor. During an emergency, employees may use university vehicles for personal use without advanced approval but must notify their supervisor at the earliest opportunity.
- During the normal work day, employees may use university vehicles for incidental personal stops on campus at the dining hall, bookstore, thrift shop, Stirling’s, and other university offices or associated businesses during scheduled breaks and lunch.
- University vehicles may be used off campus for official business with the advanced approval from a Physical Plant Services Supervisor. During an emergency, employees may use university vehicles for official use off campus without advanced approval but must notify their supervisor at the earliest opportunity.
- Employees who want to leave campus for personal business during the work day will use their personal vehicle.
- On-Call employees will use their personal vehicle to respond to after hours emergencies. On-Call employees will be allowed to park their personal vehicle within the compound when responding to emergency calls facilitating timely transition and security for their personal vehicle.
- Designated parking areas have been identified by trade for parking university vehicles during non-working hours. On-Call vehicles have the only reserved parking spots.
- Exempt employees who use university vehicles for personal use are required to comply with current IRS and University Policies.
- Exempt employees that use university vehicles for personal use will be taxed in accordance with the Internal Revenue Code. Exempt employees will record and submit monthly vehicle mileage use logs.
- Exempt employees will limit personal use of university vehicles to commuting to and from work and occasional personal use in the local area.
- Through attrition, the policy of allowing exempt employees to use university vehicles for personal use will be eliminated.
This document supersedes previous documents regarding vehicle use.